Saturday, November 10, 2007

Say Chaise



I can't quite figure out how I've survived the last few years of my adult life with all the decisions I've had to make. Job, husband, house, grad school...the list could go on forever. Since Mr. Pete and I have reached the "must have somewhere to sit" phase of new home ownership, I've realized just how picky I am. Most of our furniture is hand-me-down. We've been saving up to take the plunge into adult- looking matching furniture.
It was quite a productive weekend. We finally found some furniture we could both agree on that wasn't going to break the bank (ie. give Mr. Pete a heart attack). We found both a couch and a chair. Imagine a chocolate brown couch with a paisley chair. Mr. Pete's face was priceless after we made the big purchase. It was like 'Hey, I picked out the furniture and I'm outta here. I'll leave the mirror/picture/accessory picking out to you'.
I didn't realize how most furniture salespeople (in those chain-like furniture stores) are like car salespeople. Here's a summary of the conversations we've had with salespeople lately.
Couch-o-Rama Sales Person (aka. chain store salesperson): How can I help you folks today?
Inexperience and indecisive young professional(s): Hmmm I'm looking for a new sofa.
CORSP: some kind of random tirade about springs and glue
IIYP: Yeah I'm looking for something attractive and functional
CORSP: We don't carry those
IIYP: Hmmm
CORSP: Let me try to sell you a wrinkly cotton couch instead
IIYP: Ok, let's take a look around.

No comments: