Monday, January 7, 2008

The re-education of Mrs. Pete

Mr. Pete and I have entered into a season of our marriage during which we must fight for what we have. Now don't worry. It's just that, in an effort to survive for the long haul, we really can't ever stop fighting for each other. It's so easy to lose sight of the other person when schedules are chalked full of grad school classes, professional opportunities, home improvement projects, etc.

It's funny that I had the following conversation with a student during this season.

M: Is it fun having a husband?

Mrs. Pete: Yeah, why do you ask?

M: I was just wondering why people get married.

T: Yeah, I was wondering the same thing. Why don't y'all just have kids? Why do you have to get married?

Mrs. Pete: Well (thinking, thinking) Mr. Pete and I got married because we loved each other and we knew that if we promised to love each other in front of God and our family and friends, we'd have a better chance of keeping our promise. We knew they could bail us out if we ever needed help keeping our promise.

1 comment:

michelle said...

Good answer. I think you're right on.